Gov. Roy Cooper is requiring all North Carolina restaurants and bars to confine their businesses to take-out sales starting at 5 p.m. today.
This is a public health move other states are deploying to squash the growth curve of lethal COVID-19. It is also potentially a huge blow to the economy of Durham, which even outsiders know as the “foodie capital of the South.”
This is a reputation built by local owners of smallish spots. West Main Street in Durham is crowded with such restaurants and bars whose business will be hurt by the COVID-19 shut down.
In the stretch of Main Street between Albemarle and North Gregson, sit a number of Durham staples, including James Joyce, The Federal and Maverick’s.
Fergus Bradley, a managing partner at the three restaurants, today said each will be open for take out.
Both James Joyce and Maverick’s already do take-out independent of third-party delivery apps. They plan to add curbside pickup too, allowing customers to stay in their cars when picking up meals.
Cooper’s big news isn’t the only blow, Bradley said. “Fifty percent of our business over at Maverick’s is catering, and that was all cancelled,” Bradley said.
Mavericks’ business was harmed last year too, by the deadly explosion in April. “We were just beginning to get ourselves up out of that hole,” Bradley said.
In the days after the explosion, Maverick’s had no power, but gave first responders free meals. The smokehouse is trying to be a resource in the community amidst the current pandemic.
In the past couple of days, staff has given local children free hot dogs around lunchtime, a Maverick’s staff member said. Wednesday, they will host a free breakfast taco breakfast for children.
At the same time, the business is trying to adapt. Bradley said he is in conversation with suppliers to possibly turn Maverick’s into a general store to sell essential items like toilet paper, sanitizing supplies, milk, eggs and bread.
“It’s devastating. We want to make sure that we put our people first; our regular customers and our staff,” said Bradley, looking up at the James Joyce sign.
St. Patrick’s day is usually a day of large crowds at bars and restaurants, but not this year.
James Joyce, an Irish pub, had a celebration scheduled with bagpipes and all. Unfortunately, it had to be cancelled.
But the pub was not deserted. Almost every seat at the bar was taken and there were people occupying every table on the patio.
The Social, another Durham favorite when it comes to event space, is closed until further notice, said Bradley who is also a partner there.
At top: Expect to see many more “Closed” or “Take-Out Only” signs as Durham restaurants comply with Gov. Roy Cooper’s order to shut down their dining rooms. This one is posted at Bull McCabe’s Irish Pub. Photo by Corey Pilson
Comments are closed.